Salem is located in scenic Southern Indiana just 35 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky and less than 100 miles south of Indianapolis, Indiana. Salem is a great place to live and make a living. We have high achieving public schools, and a wide variety of community activities. Salem also has a strong and diverse economic base. If you're a visitor to Salem, we hope you will take note of our many unique and historic destinations. As a city, Salem has retained much of its small town flavor, a flavor that is enhanced by the city’s tree-lined streets, stately old homes and a friendly atmosphere that has been nurtured and handed down through the generations.
The utility office will be closed on Thursday, November 26th and Friday, November 27th in observance of Thanksgiving. Please use this site to make a utility payment.
We will re-open the office on Monday, November 30th at 8:30am.
If you have an emergency and need to contact someone before Monday, please call the Salem Police Department at 812-883-1524.
Thank you and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Join the City of Salem for their annual Community Thanksgiving Gathering/Luncheon on November 23rd from 11:30am - 1:00pm at Southern Hills Church.
Order of Events:
- Welcome Message - Mayor David Bower
- Pledge to the Flag - Julie Berry of Midwestern Engineers
- Entertainment - Bradie Shrum Elementary 5th Grade Choir
- Invocation - Steve Corp
- Food and drink (Will be served while seated**
- Door prizes
- Benediction - Mike Ray
Special thanks to : Southern Hills Church, Steve Corp, LaDonna Mitchell, and Salem Rotary. Also our Event Sponsor: Midwestern Engineers. NO CARRY OUTS OR DELIVERIES.
Thank you for joining us this Thanksgiving Season for Great Food and Fellowship.
After the Salem Water Department installed eleven new water meters on the Salem Square, the Salem Main Street "Heart of Salem" project has finally begun. Over the next three months there will be replaced and repaired pavers, new trash receptacles, benches, and flower/tree containers. Also they will be working on easier handicapped sidewalk accessibility. This is all part of a $400,000.00 Main Street Grant awarded to the City of Salem.
The Salem Parks and Recreation Department along with the Salem Public Library recently took part in the Salem and West Washington "Jump Start" events. These are very worthwhile causes to supply children with items they need in order to begin school.
Pictured is Donna Hurst with the Salem Public Library.
"Super Hero Night at the Museum", included handmade capes, popcorn, and drinks, as these "Super Hero" kids flew down the alley to Salem City Hall to watch a free sponsored by the Salem Parks and Recreation Department, Salem Public Library, and Washington County Prevent Child Abuse Council. All a part of the "Super Heroes" Summer Events.
- Bird Watching on the Walking Trail
- When Others Fly Out, Heroes Fly In
- Super Heroes, Movie night at home plate
- Salem Parks and Recreation Youth Football Sign ups Announced
- Grand Opening of the Community Fitness Park
- Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay torchbearer nominations are now open
- Restrooms closed at Lake Salinda
- New Airport to Soon have a Paved Runway
- City to apply for housing grant money
- Community Block Development Grant awarded to Heart of Salem