The John Hay Center includes the following:
The Stevens Memorial Museum
The Stevens Memorial Museum is the centerpiece of the John Hay Center, founded by the Washington County Historical Society. The museum was designed to preserve the heritage of Washington County, Indiana and contains dozens of exhibits representing thousands of artifacts from generous donors.
The Stevens Memorial Museum was built in 1970 to preserve community history and heritage. A major expansion was completed in 1995. The beautiful two-and-one-half story brick building is built of native brick from local old historic buildings. The museum features old-time law and dentist offices.
There are hundreds of native historic relics. Many Civil War mementos are included along with tools, agriculture tools and items, beautiful furniture, clothing and other displays. Visitors will find it historically educational and fulfilling in developing an association with the lifes of our ancestors.
Genealogy and Historical Library
The Stevens Memorial Museum also houses the Washington County Historical Society Genealogy and Historical Library. Many researchers from all over the United States come here to work on special projects. A small library staff is available to work with researchers. The library not only contains Indiana and local records but also maintains data and records from other states. Types of data included are: family histories, church records, cemetery records, obituaries, census records, marriage records, newspapers, state and county histories and antique photographs.
The Pioneer Village
The Pioneer Village is an extension of the Stevens Memorial Museum and has been reconstructed as a "living village" during the 1840's era. Visitors find a visit to the village a challenge to their imagination of the way of life for early settlers. Thomas Hopper is credited with being the first settler to what is now Washington County. George Brock was the first man to settle in the immediate vicinity of Salem. From early settlements came men and women who prominently figured in the development of Washington County.
The John Hay House
The John Hay House was built in 1824 and was the birthplace of John Hay, private secretary to President Abraham Lincoln ,1861-1865, Writer/Author, 1870-1890, Life of Lincoln and many poems. Mr. Hay was also Ambassador to England; and Secretary of State under President McKinley, 1898, and President Roosevelt, 1902.
Looking for Washington County Burial Information?
For additional information:
John Hay Center
307 East Market Street
Salem, Indiana 47167