Print

12th Annual Open House at The Depot

“Railroading for the Fun of It” is the theme of this year’s 12th anniversary open house at The Depot railroad museum, 206 South College Ave., Salem.

This is one of two major events at Salem’s John Hay Center Saturday and Sunday, June 8 and 9. The other is the 32nd annual quilt show sponsored by the Piecemakers Quilt Guild at the Stevens Memorial Museum. While headquartered at the Stevens Museum, the quilt show will also offer a special exhibit of quilts in the new Monon Room at The Depot.

The basement “Train Room” will be buzzing with activity. “Engineers” will have trains winding through the miniature towns of Salem, Pekin and Campbellsburg both days.

Adjacent to The Depot, the 1929 Monon caboose the motor car house, complete with a Monon motor car, will be open.

Depot open house hours Saturday are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday.

Admission to The Depot is free during the open house, but donations are always welcome and help to keep the lights burning.