Salem Municipal Airport BOAC Update
The Salem Municipal Airport BOAC hereby announces the intended adoption of their proposed Disadvantaged Business Enterprise goal of 5.4% for the 2020-2022 plan year beginning October 1, 2019. The goal methodology and plan can be reviewed at the Airport, and any comments submitted prior to August 1, 2019 in writing to:
2593 West State Road 56
Salem, IN 47167
United States Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
Great Lakes Region - Civil Rights Staff
2300 East Devon Avenue
Des Plaines, Illinois 60018
Salem Municipal Airport Renovation
The Salem Municipal Airport is an important factor in the long range development plans for the City of Salem.
The City of Salem Airport has embarked on a 9-Phase development and renovation plan that will receive Federal matching funds to support and complete the project. Central to the development plan is to increase the current runway length from 2,738 feet to 4,000 feet.
The additional runway length will allow for light to medium sized aircraft and specifically corporate aircraft to land at the City of Salem Airport. The enhanced airport will be a key factor in facilitating corporate and industrial relocation to the Salem area. The enhanced airport will also allow the City of Salem to take advantage of the overcrowding at the Metropolitan Louisville area airports by providing an alternative to corporate air traffic.
City of Salem 9 Phase Development Overview:
- Fiscal Year 2005: Acquire parcels 8 & 9
- Fiscal Year 2006: Perform grading and install drainage items for proposed terminal area site development.
- Fiscal Year 2007: Install security fencing, Pave access taxiways, parking apron, entrance road, and parking lot. Install associated electrical items, construct terminal bldg, a 10 unit T-hangar, electrical vault, and fuel facility.
- Fiscal Year 2008: Acquire parcels 10,11,and 12 & easements 13-18.
- Fiscal Year 2009: Perform grading and install drainage items for proposed temporary runway (Future taaxiway), Construct cul-de-sac on Drive-in Theater Rd., various clearing of land and tree grubbing.
- Fiscal Year 2010: Paving of 50' wide temporary runway (Future taxiway) and install associated electrical items.
- Fiscal Year 2011: Perform grading and install drainage items for proposed permanent runway. Abandoned runway pavement to be removed(approx 1/3 of present runway).
- Fiscal Year 2012: Pave permanent runway and install electrical items: PAPI lights, REILS Lights, automated weather observation system(AWOS), remove abandoned runway pavement(remainder of present runway), Possible demolition of existing terminal bldg/maintenance hangar etc.
NOTICE - Recent notification from The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) and the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Department advised the Salem Municipal Airport Board, and the contractors of the current Airport Renovation Project, that recently discovered environmental issues necessitate further study of certain aspects of the current plan.
As such, the information provided here will be subject to modification and/or change. When the revisions to the plan have been presented and approved, the current information will be updated.
With funding for the renovation project left over from Fiscal Year 2005, there will be a continuation of routine maintenance done to the existing facility. Additionally, the following activities will continue towards the goal of the airport expansion and include:
New Runway Alignment Feasibility Study
Complete New Runway Alignment Feasibility Study
ALP Update for Relocated Runway Location & Alignment
Environmental Assessment Supplement for Relocated Runway Location and Alignment